Adalaj Stepwell or Rudabai Stepwell is a stepwell of queen Rudabai located in the village of Adalaj, close to Ahmedabad city in the Indian state of Gujarat. Mahmud Begada builds this fort in1499 for his queen Rudabai, wife of Veersinh, the Vaghela chieftain. It is made in Islamic architecture as well as Hindu Temple architecture. Stepwells, also known as stepped ponds, built among the 5th and 19th centuries, are common in Western India; over 120 such wells are reported in the semi-arid region of Gujarat alone, and the well at Adalaj is one of the most popular.
The Adalaj is a spectacular example of Indo-Islamic architecture and design. The peaceful play of intricate Islamic floral markings seamlessly fusing into Hindu and Jain symbolism illustrates the culture and ethos of those times. There is also a belief that the small frieze of navagraha (nine-planets) towards the edge of the well protects the monument from evil spirits.
Adalaj Step-well, Adalaj, Gujarat 382421.
Type of Place
- Picnic Spot
- Senior Citizen
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel airport.
- Sabarmati Railway Station.
- Opens On All Days.
Timing: 06:00 AM To 06:00 PM.
Entry Fee: Free
- The architecture and the surrounding are so beautiful which can not be explained in words it is also different from other monuments in many ways, as The walls are beautifully carved with scenes of women churning buttermilk, kings, dancers, and musicians, besides other mythological scenes. Since direct sunlight does not reach the interiors of the vav, the temperature inside the stepwell is six degrees cooler than the outside. A unique feature of this stepwell is that out of the many Stepwells in Gujarat, and this is the only one with three entrance stairs.
Things to Buy
- As everyone knows Gujarat is famous for the textile market one can buy some textile to make the trip memorable.
Things to Eat
- Must taste the Gujarati Thali here along with the traditional snacks even you may taste Dhokla, Khakra, Khandvi with some Lassi, Buttermilk, and sweets like Ghevar, Malpua.
Things to enjoy
- Must have a Photography Session as the architecture of the Adalaj is just awesome and must spend some time in the nearby garden if you arrive here with your family.