Amer Fort is a fort situated in Amer, Rajasthan. Located high on a hill, it is a major tourist attraction in the Jaipur. Meenas built the town of Amer, and later it was ruled by Raja Man Singh I. This is believed that Raja Man Singh build this fort formerly in 967 CE. The present Amer fort is assumed to be built over the remains of this earlier design during the administration of Raja Man Singh popularly known as Kachwaha king of Amer.
His descendant entirely expanded the structure, Jai Singh I. Even later, Amer Fort goes through improvements and additions by next rulers over the next 150 years, as far as the Kachwahas relocated their capital to Jaipur during the time of Sawai Jai Singh II, in 1727.
Amer, or Amber, is the name derived from the Ambikeshwar Temple, which is built at the top of the Cheel ka Teela. Ambikashwara is a local name for the Hindu Lord Shiva. Anyhow, local folklore says that the fort derives its name from Amba, the Mother Goddess Durga.
The present Amer Palace was constructed in the late 16th century.
Type of Place
- Senior Citizen
- Jaipur International Airport
- Jaipur Railway Station
- Timing: 10 AM To 5 PM (Daily)
Entry Fee: Rs.25 Per Person for Indians
Entry Fee: Rs.200 Per Person for Foreign Tourists
Visit Duration: 2 to 3 hours
Best Time to Visit: November To March
- There are many attraction points inside and outside the temple, but some main attractions are the architecture of the temple, and “Sun Gate” the main entrance of the temple.
There is some more attraction which adds charm to this beautiful temple like Magic flower, Palace of Man Singh I.
Things to Buy
- If you want to shop don't miss some trendy markets: Badi Chaupar, Bapu Bazar, Johri Bazar, You can also purchase souvenirs here. They have historical paintings made from organic colours and wooden replicas of the monuments. This is the ideal way to take memory back home.
Things to Eat
- The spicy keema baati, Traditional Rajasthani sweets are available, The iconic Rajasthani thali, dahi vadas, kachoris, chaat and samosas are extremely popular. Other than these items there are some trendy and locally available foods of Jaipur: Mirchi Bada, Rajasthani Subji, Chapati/Roti. The spicy keema baati, Traditional Rajasthani sweets are available, The iconic Rajasthani thali, dahi vadas, kachoris, chaat and samosas are extremely popular. Other than these items there are some trendy and locally available foods of Jaipur: Mirchi Bada, Rajasthani Subji, Chapati/Roti.
Things to enjoy
- You can enjoy the architecture of Tripolia gate, which is built very uniquely, i.e. It is an entrance to the palace from the west, and It further opens in three directions, one to the Man Singh Palace, another to the Zenana Deorhi on the south, and the third one to the Jaleb Chowk.
You can also spend some time inside the garden which is located between the Sukh Niwas on the west and the Jai Mandir on the east. It is designed on the lines of The Mughal Garden or Chahar Bagh.
Moreover, You can even enjoy many activities like:-
Undertake a trekking trip to the surrounding hills.
Take a ride on an elephant inside the fort, costing Rs.900 for two persons.
Attend the light shows in the evening, available in English and Hindi.