Cathedral Church of The Redemption
The Cathedral Church of Redemption is one of the most beautiful Churches in India and dates back to the 1900’s. The construction of this church was completed in 1935, though it had already opened to public worship in 1931. The building of the cathedral is shaped like a birthday cake with a candle placed on top. The cathedral was also visited by the British Viceroy during the days of the Raj. The architect of the church was Henry Medd who built the church in such a manner that the interiors of the building would remain cool even in the harshest of summers. The interiors of the church comprise of high arches and ornate domes. The Cathedral Church of Redemption is under the Delhi diocese of the Church of North India.
The Church has been witness to nearly 80 yrs of sanctity. With the enthusiastic help of the British India’s Viceroy, Lord Irwin, it was designed by Henry Alexander Medd & opened its doors for public worshippers way back in 1931.
Cathedral Church of The Redemption, Church Road, 1, North Ave, New Delhi, Delhi 110001
Type of Place
- Senior Citizen
- IGI Airport.
- Central Secretariat Metro Station.
- New Delhi Railway Station.
- Timing : 8:30 am (Sunday morning service), 10 am (Tamil service), 11:45 am (Hindi service). Please note that church service timings are subject to change.
Entry Fee : Free.
- On entering the Church premises, situated on the Church Rd, you cannot ignore the vastness & the feeling of being overwhelmed by the magnificent architecture, the blossoming gardens & the surrounding trees. As you move further, all doubts vanish into thin air and tranquility & calm overtakes you - Welcome to God’s own haven - The Cathedral Church of the Redemption. In these trying times, when a man is the biggest enemy of mankind, the existence of such a place is a strong proof that a higher power, much bigger than you, still has its pure presence in this world. The quiet & harmonious atmosphere shuns the noise of the world & gives you a few personal moments with God. “It is the God who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not fail you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.”
Things to Buy
- Elegant handicrafts, Furniture items, Jewellery, Trendy designer wears, Books.
Things to Eat
- Parathas, Chaat, Butter Chicken, Kebabs, Chole Bhature, Biryani, Momos etc.
Things to enjoy
- It is built in such a way that even during the intense summer, the church remains cool & comfortable. The interiors of the church have been designed beautifully with arches & small openings which allow wonderful trickles of sunlight to fall in. The interiors are all done in white stone minus the vaulted ceilings with entrances from the North, South & West. The eastern side has a high altar with a half dome above it.