Chowmahalla Palace is also known as Palace of Nizams of Hyderabad state. It was the official seat of the Asaf Jahi dynasty. It remained the official residence of the Nizams of Hyderabad until they ruled their Hyderabad state. The palace is the property of Barkat Ali Khan Mukarram Jah who is the heir of the Nizams.
The meaning of ‘chowmahalla’ is four palaces. The word ‘chaw’ means four and the word ‘mahal’ means palace in Hindi. All ceremonial functions that also included the accession of the Nizams along with the receptions for the Governor-General were held at this palace. The palace is located near the Charminar in the old city in Hyderabad.
The UNESCO represented the Asia Pacific Merit award for cultural heritage conservation to Chowmahalla Palace on 15 March 2010.
This is the place from where the whole Hyderabad state was controlled and administrated. This used to be the command center for any action. This alone tells the strategic importance of the palace.
20-4-236, Motigalli, Khilwat, Hyderabad, Telangana 500002
Type of Place
- Picnic Spot
- Senior Citizen
- Rajiv Gandhi International Airport.
- Hyderabad Deccan Railway Station.
- Timing – 10:00 AM To 5:00 PM
Entry Fee - Rs.50 Per Adult, Rs.10 Per Child (Below 12 Yrs) For Indians.
Rs.200 Per Person For Foreign Tourists.
Phone Number - 04024522032
- Please Note: Tripods are not allowed.
- The whole palace is made beautiful and looks magnificent. It has some parts in which the entire palace has been divided. These are explained as follows:
Southern courtyard – This area houses the four palaces which are Afzal Mahal, mahtab mahal, tahniyat mahal, and Aftab Mahal.
Northern courtyard – This area houses the ‘bara imam’ which is a long corridor of rooms which once housed the administrative wing. It has Mughal domes and many Persian elements which looks astonishingly great.
Khilwat Mubarak – It is the heart of this place. It is the place where the original seat of Asaf Jahi dynasty was present. Recently 19 beautiful chandeliers of Belgian crystal were installed which added to the beauty of this place and restored the lost splendor.
Things to Buy
- If you are in Hyderabad, then you must not miss the chance to buy Pearls, Hyderabadi bangles in the choodi bazaar, Perfumes made from sandalwood oil, Gongura pickle, Bakery products, Pochampally sarees, Bidri work (Metalcraft from Iran) and much more.
Things to Eat
- Mirchi ka salan, Hyderabadi biryani, Dum pukht, Hyderabadi marag,keema samosa, Paaya, soup, Maghaz masala, Boti kebab, Khatti dal, Goshtpashinde, Malai korma, Murgh do pyaza, Qabooli biryani, Burani raita, Lukhmi, Hyderabadi khichdi and much more.
Things to enjoy