The Indian Museum in Kolkata, sometimes also known as the Imperial Museum at Calcutta in British India era texts, is the largest and oldest museum in India. It has rare collections of mummies, antiques, fossils, armor and ornaments, skeletons, and Mughal paintings. The Asiatic Society of Bengal is the founder of this museum Kolkata (Calcutta). The founder curator was Nathaniel Wallich who was a Dutch botanist. It was founded in 1814.
It has a total of six sections which comprises thirty-five galleries of cultural and scientific artifacts namely Art, Geology, Anthropology, Archaeology, Zoology, and Economic Botany.
It houses one of the most magnificent and beautiful collections of all time. By visiting this, we will surely get an experience worth boasting for as it has a very vast and rare collection which is not found so easily.
Indian Museum, 27, Jawaharlal Nehru Rd, Colootola, New Market Area, Dharmatala, Taltala, Kolkata, West Bengal 700016
Type of Place
- Picnic Spot
- Senior Citizen
- Netaji Shubhash Chandra International Airport
- Kolkata Railway Station
- Museum is opened from Tuesday to Sunday.
Timing: 10:00 AM To 5:00 PM, March to November.
10:00 AM To 4:30 PM, December to February.
Entry Fee: Rs.10 Per Person.(Indian), Rs.150 Per Person.(Foreigner).
- The Egyptian mummy is one of the most important attraction present here.
The fossils of Prehistoric animals.
The Buddhist stupa and the Buddha’s ashes is a significant attraction for buddha follower.
The Ashoka Pillar.
A rare collection of meteorites and antiques.
Skulls of people from Indus valley civilization.
Things to Buy
- When we talk of Kolkata, we must not forget about the things that can be bought from here which includes the most famous Tea from Darjeeling, cotton sarees terracotta statues, Kalighat paintings, Kantha embroidery and lastly those sweets.
Things to Eat
- If you are in Kolkata you must not forget to try Roshogulla, Sandesh, Chanchur, Kosha Mangsho (Mutton curry), Chelo kebab, Mughlai parantha, Kachori-torkari-Jalebi, Phuchka, Ghugni, Macherjhol, Telebhaja, Kathi rolls, Kolkata biryani, Pitha, Jhalmuri, Radha Pallavi, mishit doi and Thandai/Kulfi.
Things to enjoy