Jantar Mantar - Jaipur
The Jantar Mantar is situated in Jaipur, Rajasthan. It is a collection of nineteen architectural astronomical instruments which were built by the Rajput king Sawai Jai Singh II and was finally completed in 1734. It boasts of the world's largest stone sundial and is also a UNESCO World Heritage site. It is located near to the famous City Palace and Hawa Mahal. The instruments combinedly the observation of astronomical positions with the naked eye.
The monument expresses various types of architectural innovations, as well as the coming together of ideas from different religious and social beliefs in 18th-century India. The observatory is a perfect example of the Ptolemaic positional astronomy which was shared by many civilizations around the world.
Gangori Bazaar, J.D.A. Market, Kanwar Nagar, Jaipur, Rajasthan 302002
Type of Place
- Picnic Spot
- Senior Citizen
- Jaipur International Airport
- Jaipur Railway Station
- Timing: 09:00 AM – 05:00 PM
Enrty Fee: Rs.200 for foreign, and Rs. 50 for Indian.
Show Timing: Oct - Feb : 6:30 PM (English), 7:30 PM (Hindi)
Mar - Apr : 7:00 PM (English), 8:00 PM (Hindi)
May- Sep : 7:30 PM (English, 8:30 PM (Hindi).
Phone No For Booking Jantar Mantar Sound & Light Show : +91-93516 17799 , +91-93515 90055.
Guided tour – Rs.200 approx for 40 -60 minute.
- All the 19 instruments are the main attraction of the place.
Chakra Yantra: This instrument tells the time at different parts of the world.
Dakshin BhittiYantra: It can measure meridian, altitude and zenith distances of celestial bodies from earth.
DigamshaYantra: It is used in the calculation of the time of sunrise and sunset.
Disha Yantra – Tells the direction
Dhruva DarshakPattika: It is used for locating the pole star.
Things to Buy
- If you want to shop don't miss some trendy markets: Badi Chaupar, Bapu Bazar, Johri Bazar, You can also purchase souvenirs here. They have historical paintings made from organic colours and wooden replicas of the monuments. This is the ideal way to take memory back home.
Things to Eat
- The spicy keema baati, Traditional Rajasthani sweets are available, The iconic Rajasthani thali, dahi vadas, kachoris, chaat and samosas are extremely popular. Other than these items there are some trendy and locally available foods of Jaipur: Mirchi Bada, Rajasthani Subji, Chapati/Roti. The spicy keema baati, Traditional Rajasthani sweets are available, The iconic Rajasthani thali, dahi vadas, kachoris, chaat and samosas are extremely popular. Other than these items there are some trendy and locally available foods of Jaipur: Mirchi Bada, Rajasthani Subji, Chapati/Roti.
Things to enjoy
- Sound and light show.