The Papanasam dam is located 49 kilometres (30 mi) away from Tirunelveli in Tamil Nadu , India. The dam is used to irrigate 86,107 acres (34,846 ha) of paddy fields in
Tirunelveli and Tuticorin district. Papanasam Hydroelectric Power Plant, Papanasam Hydroelectric Power Plant was a design capacity of 28 MW . It has four Francis turbine - generators. The first unit was commissioned in 1944 and the last in 1951. It is on Thambirabarani river. It is operated by Tamil Nadu Generation and Distribution Corporation Limited (TANGEDCO).
The Papanasam Dam, also known as the Thamirabarani River Dam. It is believed to have been built during the British era and is surrounded by high mountains and huge trees. The dam is about 240 m high, 5.4 m wide and 265 m long and has a total catchment area of around 147 sq km. Monkeys of different breeds can be spotted around this dam. Boating can be done in the nearby lake.
Type of Place
- Senior Citizen
- The nearest International Airport from Tirunelveli is Coimbatore International Airport, Tamil Nadu, roughly six hour drive from Tirunelveli. Coimbatore International Airport is well connected to many major cities like Ahmedabad, Bangalore, Chennai, Delhi, Hyderabad and Mumbai via Air India, Indigo, Jet Airways and Spice Jet.
- Vikramasingapuram and Ambasamudram are the nearby town. It is well connected to major cities like Mumbai, Bilaspur, Coimbatore, Guruvayur and Howrah through Nagercoil Express, Bsp Ten Express, Tiruchendur Express and Kanyakumari Express.
- No Tickets charges.
Photography allowed after permission.
- Papanasam is a famous picnic spot in Tirunelveli district in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It falls under the Ambasamudram Taluk. It is situated 60 km from Tirunelveli. The site is popular with tourists attractions like Thamirabarani River, Agasthiyar Falls, Siva Temple, Papanasam dam and Hydro Electric Power Plant.
Things to Buy
- Food & GroceriesRestaurants
Things to Eat
- Varagu Ulundhu Saadham (Barnyard millet urad dhal rice)
Nellai Sodhi/Maapillai Sodhi
Vazhaikkai Puttu (Podimas)
Ellu Thuvaiyal (Sesame chutney)
Things to enjoy
- Manjolai Hills Located between elevations ranging from 1000 to 1500 Metres, the Manjolai area is set deep within the Western Ghats within the Kalakad Mundanthurai Tiger Reserve in the Tirunelveli District. Located on top of the Manimuthar Dam & the Manimuthar Water Falls, the Manjolai area comprises Tea Plantations, Small settlements around the tea plantations; Upper Kodaiyar Dam and a windy view point called Kuthiravetti.