Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park
In 1986, Mr. Neelam Kumar Khaire who was the first director of the park, with assistance from the Pune Municipal Corporation erected the Katraj Snake Park that later on became the Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park.
Since the inception of the civilization we all proceed our life in hand to hand with animals. This park showcases the same relation in a very different way. It has create dthe whole ecosystem of wildlife. So to experience this one must visit the place.
Pune-Satara Road, Opp. Katraj Dairy, Katraj, Pune, Maharashtra 411046
Type of Place
- Senior Citizen
- Pune International Airport.
- Pune Railway Station.
- Timing: 9:30 AM To 5:00 PM
Entry Fees: Adult: Rs.15, Children: Rs.5,
- The zoo has a vast collections of reptiles, mammals, and birds. Among mammals, the zoo has a male Bengal tiger and a white tiger. Other mammals include leopard, sloth bears, sambhars, barking deer, monkeys, and elephants. Among Reptiles it has Indian rock python, cobra, snakes, vipers, Indian crocodiles and Indian star tortoise.
It has a large collection of snakes, reptiles, birds and turtles. One can find over 22 species of snakes with 10 species of reptiles comprising more than 150 individuals. This also includes a 13-foot-long king cobra. Information about the snakes can be found out in Braille, as well as more conventional formats.
During Nag Panchami, the park arranges programs to discourage various types of ill-treatment of snakes.
It also houses a library.
Things to Buy
- Pune has a whole world of offerings when it comes to beautiful goodies. You will love to shop for beautiful local handicrafts, antique items like gramophone records or rare coins, exceptional leather items, comfy Kolhapuri Chappals, trendy fashion accessories, stylish footwear, designer dresses, Chiwda (rice flakes) and slippers made from rubber. Be sure to bargain for your favourite stuff as the local vendors tend to overcharge for the tourists.
Things to Eat
- Mango Mastani at Sujata Mastan, Chicken biryani at the Blue Nile, and many more street foods of Pune can be tasted here.
Things to enjoy
- The snake aprk which is very much popular and is present from the day the zoo started its operations.
The Zoo itself where you can find variety of animals.
The last one is animal shelter.