Shanti Van is known as Jawahar Lal Nehru memorial. It is located on the bank of River Yamuna, north of Rajghat.Next to the memorial of Pandit Nehru, lies the tomb of his grandson Sanjay Gandhi, who died in a plane crash in 1980.
Shanti Van is the Samadhi of the great'' Pandit Jawar Lal Nehru'', and the great National Leader and the first Prime Minister of independent India. Nehru ji led India to the path of progress and modernization. He also holds the record for being the longest serving Prime Minister of India. The last rites of Jawahar Lal Nehru (popularly known as Chacha Nehru by children) were performed here on 27th May 1964.
Shanti van means forest of peace . Said to be an architect of all Indian policies, this dynamic personality was cremated here in the year 1964.
A tombstone has been erected at his funeral place at the Shanti Van. The spot is maintained to honor the great leader who was the father of the Non Aligned Movement and who provided a new direction to modern India. This place inspires us to be deal with all problems calmly.
Shanti Van, Raj Ghat New Delhi, Delhi 110002
Type of Place
- Picnic Spot
- Indira Gandhi International (IGI)Airport
- Old Delhi Railway Station
- Kashmiri Gate
- The memorial is open on all days .
No entry fee.
No restriction on photography as well.
- Visitors comes to Shanti Van because of National Shrine set around lush green lawns and trees. A memorial has been set up at this spot, surrounded by lush green lawns and foliage to honor the honourable leader.Lush greenery, sprawling gardens,numerous trees & saplings keep the atmosphere cool & quite. The stretches of greenery run endlessly and in almost every nook & corner, a beautiful plant which gives pleasant feel of peace.
Things to Buy
- Handcrafted materials, hats, clothes, and other funky things.
Things to Eat
- Ice-creams, chole kulche, Paranthas, Biryani and sweets like Jalebi, Gulabjamun.
Things to enjoy
- Every year on 14th November, which is Children's Day as well as his birth date, dignitaries & the heads of the states pay homage to 'Chacha' Nehru. On this occasion, certain prayer sessions & cultural programmes are also organised in Shanti Van to celebrate the event.
You must enjoy few other memorials established near the Shanti Van are -
Raj Ghat (Mahatma Gandhi),
Vijay Ghat (Lal Bhadur Shastri),
Shakti Sthal (Indira Gandhi),
Vir Bhumi (Rajiv Gandhi)